What is the Best Mosquito Repellent ?
Mosquitoes carry diseases like malaria, Zika virus disease, dengue fever, West Nile fever and many more. One of the more effective and safest way to avoid mosquito bites is to wear one of the best mosquito repellent presented in this Review. Mosquito repellent helps prevent and control the outbreak of mosquito diseases. The best mosquito repellent is designed to make surfaces unpleasant or unattractive to the insects. Bug sprays that mask the skin odors most attractive to mosquitoes make it possible for people to hide in plain sight. A repellent containing synthetic chemical or natural oils either smells bad for mosquitoes or blinds the receptors mosquitoes use to pick up on skin odors, meaning they aren’t able to locate their prey.
Female mosquitoes lay several hundred eggs on the walls of water-filled containers. The eggs stick and remain attached until they are scrubbed off. If water covers the eggs, they can become adults in about a week. So before spraying everywhere, it’s wise to prevent them from growing: empty and scrub items that hold water every week (e.g. tires, buckets, flowerpots) and cover water storage containers.
The Best Mosquito Repellents
|Natural Mosquito Repellent Wristband||Citronella oil||$||3.4|
|Sawyer Products SP602 Premium Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent Aerosol Spray, 9-Ounce||0.5% Permethrin||$||4.4|
|Cutter Lemon Eucalyptus Insect Repellent Pump Spray, 4-Ounce||30% Lemon Eucalyptus Oil||$||4.1|
|Sawyer Products SP544 Premium Insect Repellent with 20% Picaridin, Pump Spray, 4-Ounce||20% Picaridin||$||4.5|
|3M Ultrathon Insect Repellent Lotion, 2-Ounce||34.34% DEET||$||4.5|
|Repel 94108 100 Insect Repellent Pump Spray, 98.11-Percent DEET, 4-Ounce||98.1% DEET||$||4.3|
|Repel Lemon Eucalyptus Natural Insect Repellent, 4-Ounce Pump Spray||30% Lemon Eucalyptus Oil||$||4.2|
$:0-19; $$:20-50; $$$:+50
For more Reviews of Best Mosquito Repellent, check the Menu and select one of our Guides for the Best Mosquito Repellent. More Reviews are also available for the Best Mosquito Bed Net, and the Best Mosquito Trap.
The repel 100 uses a 98.1-percent deet formula to provide complete protection from mosquitoes, ticks, gnats, chiggers, no-see-ums, and biting flies. This is the best mosquito repellent sold on Amazon. Use in areas of high infestation or prolonged periods of outdoor activity for up to 10-hour of protection. The new 4-ounce pump is large enough for high use consumers, yet small enough for easy portability. Repel 100 Protects From West Nile Virus. West Nile virus is established as a seasonal epidemic in North America that flares up in the summer and continues into the fall. It also works very well against the Zika virus (click here for further details on efficacy).
- Ideal for extreme environments
- Repels mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers and biting flies up to 10-hour
- Larger size for high consumption consumer
- 98.11-Percent DEET
Cutter lemon eucalyptus pump spray is an effective, naturally plant to based repellent that repels mosquitoes for up to 6 hours. Contains oil of lemon eucalyptus to the only plant to based ingredient recommended by the centers for disease control and prevention CDC. This is one of the best mosquito repellent against the mosquito Aedes aegypti, the vector of Zika (click here for data on efficacy).
- Contains oil of lemon eucaltyptus plant
- Naturally-based insect protection
- Protects for up to 6 hours
Repel lemon eucalyptus pump 4-ounce. Enjoy up to six hours of DEET-free protection from mosquitoes, deer ticks, and other biting insects with Repel Plant-Based Lemon Eucalyptus Insect Repellent. The active ingredient in Repel is oil of lemon eucalyptus, a plant-based oil derived from the leaves of the Eucalyptus citriodora tree. The oil–which offers natural repellent properties against biting insects–is safe and effective, with a cool, refreshing scent. Oil of lemon eucalyptus is the only plant-based active ingredient recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for mosquito protection. Oil of lemon eucalyptus provides protection similar to lower concentrations of DEET. It works great for outdoor outings, but should not be substituted for DEET-based products if you’re traveling in severe insect conditions where Nest Nile virus or malaria may be prevalent. Oil of lemon eucalyptus-based repellent products are safe for children ages 3 years and older. Oil of lemon eucalyptus can be used on clothing and will not harm synthetic fabrics or gear made from synthetic materials.
- Contains Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus recommended by the CDC
- Repels mosquitoes for up to 6-hour
- Cool, refreshing scent
- Protects against West Nile Virus
- DEET free – won’t harm gear
More effective at repelling biting flies than DEET, Sawyer Premium Insect Repellent with 20 Percent Picaridin is great for applying to skin as well clothing, outdoor gear, and more. Safe to use on the whole family, Sawyer Premium Insect Repellent Spray offers effective protection against common disease carrying nuisances like mosquitoes and ticks. Additionally, Picaridin is effective at repelling biting flies, stable flies, black flies, gnats, chiggers, and sand flies. The long-lasting topical spray with 20 percent Picaridin is effective for up to 12 hours against mosquitoes and ticks (14 hours for lotion), and and both provide up to 8 hours of protection against biting flies, gnats, chiggers, and sand flies. It’s available in a 4-ounce spray bottle, airline approved 3-ounce spray bottle, easily pocketable 0.5-ounce pen spray tube, and 4-ounce lotion bottle.
- Long-lasting topical insect repellent lotion with 20 percent Picaridin
- Effective up to 14 hours against mosquitoes and ticks
- Up to 8 hours against biting flies, gnats, chiggers, and sand flies
- Safe to use on the whole family
- Won’t harm clothing, synthetic gears and fabrics
- Virtually odorless
Mosquitoes are attracted to you from up to 70 meters away by several factors including body odour, exhaled carbon dioxide and by radiated heat. The feeding urge is triggered when the insects’ sensors come within range of the lactic acid on your skin. The vendor claims that for 99% of customers, the mosquito repellent bracelet works, and it has been scientifically tested and proven to work. However, for some people it doesn’t work due to certain body chemistry’s and other overpowering smells such as perfume. Mosquito Bracelets do not contain pesticides. They are made of Citronella oil. This active ingredient is considered to be GRAS (Generally Regarded as Safe) by the EPA and FDA and is included in exempt product listings. Mosquito Bracelets are designed and formulated to protect children. If being placed in the mouth for instance, there is no liquid chemical being emitted or ingested. For infants, we recommend though that you attach the Mosquito Bracelet to their stroller or carriages, out of their reach. The Repellent contained in the Mosquito Bracelet is made from herb to form a very effective insect repellent and will not harm the environment.
- Comes with 5 refills for for 70 days or more.
- The bracelet is lightweight and adjustable to fit children, and adults of all ages.
- Made from lemon citronella essential oil.
- Do not contain DEET.
3M Ultrathon insect repellent was developed for the military to provide long lasting, time released protection against mosquitoes for up to 12 hours. Repels Ticks that may carry West Nile Virus and also mosquitoes, biting flies, chiggers, gnats, fleas and deer flies. Splash & Sweat Resistant. Unique 3M Polymer Technologh optimized to enhance the efficacy of DEET and provide time controlled release of DEET. Stable in Freeze/Thaw conditions. 5 year guarantee. Consistantly rated as a top insect repellent by independent testing labs. Tested in the harshest conditions of South America. Works longer with less DEET. Competitive products are alcohol based and when the alcohol evaporates you lose your protection. Ultrathon uses the time released technology to provide a longer lasting repellent.
- 3M Technology allows time released protection for up to 12 Hours
- Splash & Sweat resistant
- Repels deer ticks that may carry Lyme Disease, and mosquitoes that may carry West Nile Virus
- Lotion formulation developed for and used by the US Military
For use on clothing, tents, and other gear, Sawyer Premium Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent not only repels insects, it actually kill ticks, mosquitoes, chiggers, mites, and more than 55 other kinds of insects on contact. Permethrin is odorless after drying and will not stain or damage clothing, fabrics, plastics, finished surfaces, or any of your outdoor gear. Use it while hunting for an odorless way to protect yourself from common bugs. In addition to this 9-ounce aerosol spray, Sawyer Premium Permethrin is available in 12- and 24-ounce trigger spray bottles. A single application lasts up to six washings or up to 40 days of sun exposure.
- Insect-killing repellent for your clothing is effective against ticks, chiggers, mites and mosquitoes.
- Efficacy for up to 6 weeks (or 6 washings)
- As effective as 100 percent DEET
- Will not stain or damage clothing, fabrics, plastics, finished surfaces, or outdoor gear
- Odorless after drying; ideal for use while hunting
- 9-ounce aerosol bottle
Which kind of mosquito repellents are sold ?
They are two main classes of mosquito repellent products: Sprays containing synthetic chemical ingredients generally the best mosquito repellent or natural molecules found in plants. If you buy chemicals, you should know that a test of repellents by an independent consumer organization found that the nest mosquito repellent containing DEET or picaridin is equally effective and that some repellents with natural active ingredients are also effective but usually not long lasting. All the synthetics gave almost 100% repellency for the first 2 hours, where the natural repellent products were most effective for the first 30 to 60 minutes, and required reapplication to be effective over several hours (source: wikipedia). The design of a product also has a part to play because some spray better than others and coat more of the skin in one pass.
What are the molecules in synthetic bug repellents ?
Synthetic repellents tend to be more effective and/or longer lasting than natural repellents (here IR3535 is shown). Examples are IR3535, DEET, diethyltoluamide or permethrin. The United States Environmental Protection Agency EPA has classified IR3535 as a biochemical substance based on the fact that it is functionally identical to beta alanine. For protection against mosquitos, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) issued a statement in May 2008 recommending equally DEET, picaridin, and IR3535 for skin. Permethrin is recommended for clothing, gear, or bed nets. The active ingredient Permethrin is a synthetic molecule similar to pyrethrum which is taken from the Chrysanthemum flower.
DEET was developed by the U.S. Army more than 50 years ago and is still considered the best chemical repellent on the market. Mosquitoes smell DEET and stay away from it. The repellent is sold in sprays, lotions, sunscreens and accessories such as wristbands. It works best when applied lightly to the skin in a 25 to 30% solution.
Picaridin was found by chemists at Bayer AG in the late ’80s. This is a receptor blocker which keeps them from locating prey. In two Australian army studies, soldiers reported that picaridin performed nearly as well as DEET, but caused less skin irritation. Picaridin comes in lotions, sprays and wipes in 5 to 10 percent solutions.
Which natural mosquito repellent to purchase ?
The best mosquito repellent plants are effective such as essential oil mosquito repellents. But they can be short-lived in their effectiveness since essential oils can evaporate.The CDC recommends equally chemicals and essential oil mosquito repellent from lemon eucalyptus trees. The oil of lemon eucalyptus was initially discovered in China and recently earned a recommendation from the CDC. The oil is synthesized from the tree’s twigs and leaves.They found oil of lemon eucalyptus to be more effective than other plant-based treatments. It seems to work by blocking mosquitoes’ chemical receptors. This natural repellent is available in both sprays and lotions. It is not recommended for children under 3. Research has found that neem oil is mosquito repellent for up to 12 hours but can’t be used in children and pregnant women Citronella oil refined from the leaves of the tree has also been found to be effective against mosquitoes carrying the Zika virus like lemon eucalyptus oil.
Follow these Basic Rules:
- Always use Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)-registered insect repellents. All EPA-registered insect repellents are evaluated for effectiveness.
- Follow the product label instructions.
- Ensure adequate protection during times of day when mosquitoes are most active. Dengue, yellow fever, Zika virus and chikungunya vector mosquitoes bite mainly from dawn to dusk. Malaria, West Nile, and Japanese encephalitis vector mosquitoes bite mainly from dusk to dawn.
- Reapply repellents as protection wanes and mosquitoes start to bite.
- Don’t spray repellent on the skin under clothing.
- If you are also using sunscreen, apply sunscreen before applying insect repellent.
- Use just enough repellent to cover all exposed skin, but apply sparingly on your face, avoiding your eyes and mouth.
- Wash your hands after DEET application, as DEET-based products may damage some synthetic fabrics and materials.
Can we use Mosquito Repellents on babies or child ?
- Most insect repellant can be used on children, according to the CDC, with a few caveats.
- Do not use insect repellent on babies younger than 2 months of age.
- For children 3 years of age and under, do not use products containing oil of lemon eucalyptus (OLE), found in many repellents, the CDC says.
- Protect infants aged <2 months from mosquitoes by using an infant carrier draped with mosquito netting with an elastic edge for a tight fit. Dress your child in clothing that covers arms and legs, or cover crib, stroller.
- Do not apply insect repellent onto a child’s hands, eyes, mouth, and cut or irritated skin. Instead, spray a little on your hands and rub it onto a child’s face.
- Avoid spraying repellent on cuts, wounds or irritated skin.
- Always wash a child’s skin with soap and water after they come inside.
- Do not use products that combine DEET with sunscreen, as you run the risk of overexposing your child to the repellent.
For a selection of best mosquito repellent for babies, please click the link here and you will be redirected to the Best Mosquito Repellent for Babies Review.